Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Unboxing & Impressions: Google Nexus 7 Tab Review

This post is about my short unboxing and my personal impressions about my new Google Nexus 7 16GB by Asus. I got to order this after the release in the US and I managed to snag my tablet a bit earlier than others, I guess I am one of the first to have this imported from USA to the Philippines. Yipee!!!





I ordered this June 30, 2012 in the US but today (July 27, 2012) it finally reached my room, so here it is guys!

Sorry for the CRAPPY shots as I dont have a camera to use, and btw I am no way a technogeek so please forgive my humble post if it makes you bored but I dont mind comments and suggestions.

Exact box package from Google was a bit simple considering that a tablet is inside this small box.





Here's the front and back of the box, the hype of the tablet made it really cool to see it and feel it on hand.




Full set including accessories and some manuals





The dimpled back of the tablet was nice and feels right for the grip but this is just for me



Start up screen for registration (You need a Google account for registering it and don't forget the WiFi for some connection)









I noticed that the screen was some what smudge resistant unlike my Blackberry Playbook and Ainol Novo 7 II, no screen problems as of making this post.

I was immediately prompted for an update to Android 4.1.1 and it works great and so far I haven't seen any defects at the screen except for some smudges that seemed to have came from a sticker that has been removed but it had it cleaned with some baby oil.

Here's the result for the HTML 5 test I had done, but still Blackberry Playbook 2.0 got the top spot.





I noticed that during my side by side test with my Blackberry Playbook, chrome loads slower even after clearing all cookies and cache than the native browser of playbook. I also notice a line streak that appears and in a flash dissapears.

Amount spent for this tablet:

$ 249 - 16gb unit
$ 13.99 - Delivery inside USA
$ 18.01 - Sales Tax
$ 50 - Freight charges going in the Philippines (tax and custom fees inclusive)

All in all I can say that I am very much happy that I did order this tablet although some functions and the $25 credit for the google play store is currently not available here in the country.

Note:
I am using the courier forwarding services of FRS Philippines for all my transactions abroad may it be using my credit card then forwarding it to them or using their company CC to purchase on my behalf, Ive tried using others but to my dismay their snooty staffs, poor customer service and high costs & charges landed me to FRS, I must say I am one proud customer of FRS.

If you guys dont mind can you send me your full name and email so I can send you an invite so I'll get to have a referral the next time I use their services but I guarantee you that they are waaaaaaaay better than others.

Note:
I am no way connected to FRS and no way being paid to promote their services it just so happened that I like their service and I do think it would really help alot if Ill share their service.

Share your opinions regarding the tablet or my post.

Cheers!!!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Josh,
    Thanks for this post.
    I just want to know what courier have you used to send the tablet from US to PH?

    Im planning to buy 2 16GB units from Google,have them delivered to my friend's US address, then ship the package to PH. But Im worried about the custom tax pagdating ng package dito sa pinas. Baka tumaga nanaman kasi yung mga nasa customs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kindly leave your given name and your surname with your email address para I can send you a link from their website

      Delete
    2. I was quite hesitant to buy abroad and I tried various couriers na but Ive got to say pinka ok sa lahat to in terms of charges and customer service

      Delete
    3. Hi Josh,
      I was able to buy 2 units via JohnnyAir. Have you used the same provider or my iba pang mas ok?
      My mail : iam@haroh.me

      Delete
    4. Ive used Johnny Air before pero I was dismayed by their poor customer service, snooty staffs, not to mention higher costs than FRS, anyways I sent you an invite.

      Delete
  2. Interested here as well. Post more details especially courier. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir, kindly leave your email nalang so I can send you their link.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tip.
    i checked FRS' site and if i read it right, they dont deliver outside Metro Manila?
    Im currently in Davao and JohnnyAir have a pickup point here.

    And yeah JAC fees are kinda high compare with FRS.

    How much ung tax na binarayan mo? JAC asked me to pay additional $25 for tax, + 12% VAT + $5 handling fee + (3 lbs package weight X $7USD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No vat for me since sa almost USD 50 na binayaran ko incorporated na dun yun customs tax, handling and other fees nila ka lower talaga magiging total compared to JAC, yes they dont have a pickup point at Metro Davao pero they have deliveries outside Metro Manila using courier service from others.

      Delete
    2. ok cool, so they can send the package via LBC pag dating sa pinas. Ok na rin.
      I'll use them on my next order :) thanks again for the tip.
      Btw, i havent received your referral email. Can you resend? sayang ung referral bonus mo hehe.

      Delete
  4. I am no way connected to FRS and no way being paid to promote their services it just so happened that I like their service and I do think it would really help alot if Ill share their service.

    Playgroup Singapore
    Kindergarten Singapore

    ReplyDelete